For this article we have reviewed several studies that define the benefits of yacon.
Yacon, unlike most tubers, stores mainly fructooligosaccharides (FOS), a special type of sugars with enormously beneficial attributes for human health. These explain the prebiotic effect of yacon. FOS are sugars that are low in calories and do not raise blood glucose.
What is yacon syrup used for? Benefits and properties
- Helps prevent and treat diabetes. According to a study published in Clinical Nutrition, yacon syrup may be effective in lowering blood sugar levels. Fructooligosaccharides are sweet like sugar but, unlike this one, they do not contribute to increased blood glucose levels. This study revealed that yacon syrup helped improve insulin resistance in people with diabetes. For this reason, yacon is considered a dietary supplement for the natural treatment of diabetes.
- Favors weight loss. The fructooligosaccharides (FOS) in yacon are not digested by our digestive system, so their consumption is low in calories. The FOS are also useful to control appetite and promote weight loss, as they reduce the release of ghrelin (hunger hormone).
- It is rich in antioxidants (cancer prevention). Regular consumption of antioxidants through the diet is essential because it helps us neutralize the effect of free radicals and prevent numerous health problems.
- Improves digestive health. The fructooligosaccharides and inulin abundant in yacon are prebiotic compounds, in other words, they serve as a food source for intestinal bacteria that maintain good health and the functioning of the digestive system. Eating yacon improves bowel movements, prevents constipation, improves mineral absorption and accelerates metabolism.
- Promotes heart health. Several studies conducted in prehypertensive patients revealed that yacon consumption helped to reduce LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and systolic/diastolic pressure, hence it is also a good food to prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Improves bone density. Yacon syrup has the potential to increase bone density by improving the absorption of minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
- It has diuretic properties. This tuber increases production and frequency of urination, therefore helps us expel more toxins and prevents conditions such as kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- Prevents anemia. Iron deficiency is the main cause of anemia. Yacon is a tasty and healthy alternative that allows us to increase iron intake and prevent the development of anemia.
In conclusion, yacon is a highly nutritious food with a long list of health benefits for the human body.
In IMBAREX, we produce precisely a syrup obtained after a process of purification and concentration of Yacon extract. If you want to know more about our products and their applications contact our sales force here.